"Treasure"

"Treasure"
Madison called Danny her "Treasure"

Saturday, April 10, 2021

28

I brought Madison daisies today for her birthday.  After I placed them in the vase I noticed a patch of clovers near the end of her grave and thought, I wonder if I can find a four leaf clover.  I looked down and immediately saw one near, “Sissy.”  I picked it.  I’m not one to see signs everywhere but I took this as a good one.

I miss my sweet girl so much and want to share a memory or two. Two days before Madison’s heart surgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital we went sightseeing I think near a pier.  Madison got out of her wheelchair to get a better look at something and her cousin got in it and started playing around.  When she wanted to sit back down she shooed him away.  A man was walking past and said to her, “you know it’s bad luck to play in a wheelchair.”  Without hesitation she said, “Good thing I ain’t playin!”  I loved that comeback.  She was a strong person, but having to be so strong all the time can make you weary.  Madison would get tired of dealing with the attitudes of people who didn’t know her.

One day a couple of years before her surgery we went to dinner with a friend.  Madison didn’t want to bring the wheelchair, she said she would just walk to the entrance then be sitting the whole time so it was no big deal.  There were no disabled parking spots available (she didn’t want to get out at the entrance either) so the walk was a little farther than usual (aprox. 10-15 yards).  She got tired halfway there so we stopped for her to rest on a bench.  We all just hung out, no big deal and I guess we circled around her.  Our friend was amazed how we all just paused and waited for Madison to rest.  There was no complaint; we waited for a few minutes and talked, even Derric and Dallas.  That was our normal, she needed time we gave it to her.  Derric and Dallas who were also children patiently waited without complaint.  They knew their sister needed some special care and gave it to her.  Often Madison would walk next to her sister and have her hand on Dallas’ shoulder for support.  Even if they had just been arguing Dallas always helped Madison in this way.  I’m so proud of how Derric and Dallas helped Madison.  They were always there for her even when they disagreed.  


If I’ve shared these memories before...oh well!


Happy heavenly birthday my sweet girl!!!  I love you so much and always will.


                          This is that day in Baltimore.

No comments:

Post a Comment